Steps to take after the Ceremony

After the wedding ceremony, the original marriage license must be returned to the County Clerk's office for recording. Pursuant to MCL 551.104, the marriage license must be returned within 10 days of the ceremony.   The couple will keep the Unofficial duplicate copy of the marriage license as a souvenir copy, but it is not valid for legal purposes. Certified copies can be purchased and used for legal purposes.

  • A certified copy is $15.00 for the first copy and $5.00 for each additional.  Most couples purchase two certified copies. 
  • You can purchase in person in our office and the certified copies will be printed at that time. 
  • You can mail a Request Form with payment and the certified copy will be mailed to you.

To change your name on a Social Security card, you may visit one of their branch offices, or print the form to submit by mail:

You will need a certified copy of your marriage license to include in the mailing, but it will be returned to you.  If you visit a branch office to apply, you will also need a certified copy of the marriage license.  Please check with the Social Security Administration on their website or at a branch office for current guidelines and requirements.

To change your name on a Driver's License or State ID, visit a Secretary of State branch office and present your valid driver's license or state ID card and a certified copy of your marriage license. Visit the Secretary of State online portal for further information at