Effective as of March 24, 2021, Section 221 (2)(b) of the Michigan Drain Code, Public Act 40 of 1956, as amended (“Drain Code”), authorizes the Lapeer County Drain Commissioner (“Drain Commissioner”) to utilize and maintain a list of prequalified contractors to perform non-petitioned maintenance work under MCL 280.196 without advertising for sealed bids.
The purpose of this pre-qualification process is to develop and maintain a list of pre-qualified contractors to preform non-petitioned maintenance work on behalf of the Lapeer County Drain Commissioner and the various districts under the jurisdiction of the Lapeer County Drain Commissioner.
To be eligible to contract for non-petitioned drain maintenance that is not undergoing the bidding process, a contractor must submit an application to the Lapeer County Drain Commissioner, which at minimum Includes:
- Proof of Registration as a County Vendor OR Submission of W-9
- Proof of Worker’s Compensation or Exemption
- List of Contractor’s Available Equipment
- Reference List
- Compliance with Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control
The Lapeer County Drain Commissioner shall have complete discretion in approving or denying an application.
Upon approval of an application, the Contractor shall be placed on the Pre-Qualified Contractor List, which shall be posted on the Lapeer County Drain Commissioners website.
A contractor may be removed from the Pre-Qualified List upon:
- Contractor’s request to be removed, or termination of a Contractor’s legal entity; or
- Contractor’s failure to sustain any of the above required criteria evaluated in the application process.
- Lapeer County Drain Commissioner’s determination, at his/her sole discretion, that contractor has failed to demonstrate quality or timely performance of work under a contract with a drainage district or under any other contract for similar work.
*Please note that placement on the list does not guarantee a contractor will be selected to perform work. The Lapeer County Drain Commissioner sustains full discretion and authority to either bid non-petitioned maintenance work or to select any contractor from the Pre-Qualified list to perform said non-petitioned maintenance work.